Bak Kua is a tradisional chinese new year food but recent years the price of the bak kua increased so much!!! Last year, I start making my first ever homemade bak kua.. but I didn't manage to post any here to share with you all... I get this recipe last year from a friend she shared online from Bake for Happy Kids.. so my first trial to attempt this was last year.. so this year CNY is approaching and I bought 2kg of pork and minced myself and made Bak Kua!!
Ingredients (adapt from the recipe above but i modify the marinates a bit here and there)
Mince pork (I prefer less fat one) - 1kg
Sugar - 160g
Light Soy Sauce - 2 Tbsp
Chinese Rice Wine - 1 Tbsp
Thai fish sauce - 1 Tbsp
Oyster Sauce - 2 Tbsp
Dark Caramel sauce - 1 Tsp
Five spice powder - a bit (depend on your own favor)
Pepper - a bit (up to you how much u like)
Salt - 1 Tsp
Honey - 3 tbsp
Sesame oil - 2 Tbsp
How to make?
1. Mixed all ingredients together in a big bowl and stir with a pair of chopsticks clockwise until it become gluey or sticky..
2. then wrap the bowl and put inside fridge to marinate for few hours
3. Preheat oven at 160C
4. Spread the marinated minced pork on the baking tray with fingers and tap to very thin piece
5. put inside preheated oven and bake for around 13-15minutes.
6. removed out the pork from oven let it cool a bit and increase the oven temp to 220C and change to Grill function. collect the little oil on the surface for later use.
7. Cut the pork into desire size and shape
8. put inside oven to grill for 1-2 min then take out and turn it over and continue grill for another 1min or less (watch it don't let it burn) then take out and turn it up again and sapu the oil collected in step 6 above and put it to grill until golden brown and a little burnt.
(step 5 above)
(Step 6 - this is how it look like after bake)
I cut it into these and grill in batches later.. coz i made big batches at one go..
yummy bak kua almost done..
This is the little oil i collected at step 6.
taa daa... bak kua ready to serve.. :)