have been research online and read some of the forums and the kinddy around Kota Kemuning area.. and I have get ready a check list below for my reference for hunting a right and suitable preschool for Marcus. Why I need this check list is because I have dory memory after delivery.. and I will go blank and don't know what to check and ask when I go for school tour.. I plan to go for the school tour next week to check out one by one of the kindergarten around my housing area..
Before the visiting:-
- Do some homework on the availability of the preschool in my housing area. research online, so far following is the list i got it..
- Total Child -
Kota Kemuning- Lagoon
46, Jalan Anggerik Malaxis 31/179, Kota Kemuning,
40460 Shah Alam, Selangor Darul Ehsan.
No.2, Jalan Anggerik Nervilla AZ 31/AZ,
Kota Kemuning 40460 Shah Alam
Kinderland Kota Kemuning (Ceria Mesra Sdn Bhd)
1&3, Jalan Anggerik Doritis 31/137,Kota Kemuning,
40460 Shah Alam, Selangor. (map)
Tel: 03-5122 3871
Fax: 03-5122 4308
Principal: Ms Fam
- Tunas Riang
ADD 3, Jalan Sungai Congkak, 32/51, Bukit Rimau, Seksyen 32, 40460 Shah Alam TEL 019-357 4891
- Sri Johan
- 3Q toddler / 3Q Junior
- Pusat Jagaan Kelip-Kelip (2012 intake is full and got to put wait list for 2013)
- Summer Academy - Subang Jaya - Fastrackids program
- list not ended
Questions to check out during the school interview:-
- What Methodology? (Montessori / Waldorft / Fun-gates)
- What is the mandatory Language used? (Mandarin, English, BM) Is it trilingual kindergarten?
- What is the school hours. From what time to what time? How is the time tables look like?
- How much is the monthly fees? And any other misc charges?
- Play based or academic driven?
- Teacher : students ratio?
- What's the principal's background in early childhood education and what is his/her vision for her school?
- What's the syllabus? Any text books? (look through if any)
- Teachers' qualification & experiences?
- What's the teacher turn over rate? (if turnover very fast meaning something wrong with the school)
- Is there any snack during school time? If yes check out the menu.. (got to inform allergen food list to the school.
- Any after school activities? (drawing, dancing, etc)
- Playtime - what is the play schedule? and are they allow to play outdoor?
- What is the level of parental involvement? Is parents is welcome to drop by anytime? or needed to do appointment?
- Any Excursion? to where? How often?
- What is the safety policy?
- Is there any homework for age 3 classes?
- What is the teaching method? Using multimedia (eg: TV, computer, ipad?)
- How they handle mischievous Kid? Rotan or cane/talk/scolding/or how? What is the punishment like? Is it punish in front of all other children or how?
- How many years is the school established?
- Any trainings or enhancement knowledge for the teacher to improve and equip them with the latest knowledge and teaching technique?
- How do we parents know about our kids progress in school? We get to talk to teacher face to face? and how frequent we will be update with their progress?
Observation (school tour)
- Make appointment with the school for visiting/school tour.
- So I feel Welcome??
- check the cleanliness and tidyness of the school (indoor and outdoor), do I feel comfortable in the school area? The brightness and unattractiveness of the school building / layout / and the cabinet arrangement
- look around if they do proper child proofing.
- see if there is any child friendly facilities? like toilet bowl and basin..
- Emergency evacuation stairs?
- Is the school teacher friendly and caring?
- How teacher handle mischievous kids?
- if the teacher : student ratio is 1:20.. then will the teacher work in small group based like 3-5 kids at one time during activity?
- Listen if the teachers and principal talking in accurate Mandarin and English?
- Is teacher having 1-1 conversation with the student?
- Is student given chance to express themselves or everything just follow what teacher teach?
- Since I will be bringing Marcus for the visiting, I will observe how the teacher interact with a shy little one and how teacher get my Marcus to sit for observation
- Are the children happy and engaged in the activities?
- Is there any interaction between the kids? Are they allow to interacting with each other during the class?
- How is the discipline among the kids? Are they cooperative with others kids?
- Is there any proofing that the teacher using variety if teaching methods?
- Is there library in the school? Is the book in good conditions? and is it updated material?
- Is the kids are encouraged for hand one learning?
- How is the toys and teaching material conditions? Good and appropriate age ?
- Look for walls or papan tanda that showcase the kids drawing and pics for the school activities?
- Is the kids are encouraged to play creatively?
- Is the school space enough for the number of student they taking in